Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Getting Easier everyday.

Our biggest issue is, "what is he going to do?" So, yesterday we lucked out on a basketball goal for $25 and a slip-n-slide ($10). He had a ton of fun and spent most of the day playing outside. It's hard because he's by himself, so he's got to find stuff to do on his own sometimes. Funniest thing is- we went to my parents that night and he went out on the farm and jumped on the hay bales, a free thing... it was his favorite thing he did that day.

Rob got out to shoot hoops tonight and pulled a muscle in his back. Come on, were not even 30 yet! In all seriousness, things are getting easier everyday. I burst into tears this morning because of what I read in my devo last night- obedience will result in blessings. I already see blessing. Our little guy came and told me how he didn't feel like he could really be a kid at his last home. When I went to pick him up from his fam
ily visit they told me it was the first time they heard him laugh in a long time. I know that certain foster kids need high structure and lots of regimen. We have rules we make him do chores, but we also are providing fun things for him to do. He does need to feel like a kid, comfortable here. He's gotten to where I catch him dancing in his room and singing around the house. Granted, if behavior gets worse, we'll turn up the heat, but he has been so well-behaved, following directions, etc. there's not a need to be constantly hard on him. There are are behaviors that need to be worked on, and we are getting there. One is pride. Another- telling the truth especially... not expanding stories. I've had to pull the "Boy, Jesus knows if your lying!"

One thing that cracked me up is that we were asked, "If I am going to be with you during school, are yall going to make me read at night?" And, " Do you think we could have set meal times so I know when we're going to eat?"

I have to become a better planner, meals, times, activities. We are so used to going at our own pace, but all that has changed. We enjoy our time after he goes to bed so much, that I wish we had made his bedtime earlier! Rob and I are trying to figure out how to communicate with each other about when he's stressed.

1 comment:

  1. Aww Tiff! Been praying for you, Rob, and Z. So glad to hear God is working!!

    ReplyDelete